Monday, March 24, 2014

Kindling the hearth fire

2014: The year I finally stopped dreaming about one day having a home and land and homesteading goodness, and instead took the plunge and did it. It isn't quite what I had in mind; I'd pictured doing this on five acres or so in the middle of nowhere, enough room for grains and livestock and wildness... But I have a job in the city, and I don't have a car of my own, and I have friends in the city that I want to stay close to. So instead what I have is a little mid-century rambler on a big lot within spitting distance of city limits, with a pre-established vegetable garden and beautiful mature fig tree, and enough room (and southern exposure) to tuck in more food plants all over the place. Not enough room for goats, but maybe next year there'll be chickens.

And the name? Well, I'm a huge nerd, is all. I sat down with a Sindarin-English dictionary and combed through it for ways to build a name that I liked. Faellorn, depending on how you read fael, means either "generous haven" or "haven of the just." It's a heavy geas to lay on myself right out of the gate, but the weight is comfortable.

Come in. Warm yourself by the hearth fire. Be welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment